Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

I am thankful for my family, my friends, food, my house, my health, my animals, and the chance to be in Laos. Today, we were given a baci ceremony at the hospital. A baci ceremony imparts good wishes and luck on the honorees, and we were blessed, as we have been for the last two weeks by the people of Laos, the hospital staff, and the doctors and nurses with whom we are working. My wrists are covered by the strings tied to them by each individual who wished my good health, happy journeys, wealth, and that we come back again next year. The ceremony was attended by 100 people and at the beginning Disty, Chip, and I were called up and the Hospital Director and our leader dedicated the two weeks we just spent to Andy. I weeped. I think it was probably not culturally appropriate, but I am giving myself a pass on this one. Each of the 12 volunteers was given a personalized handmade tray with his and her name woven in, a handmade metal ornament, and a certificate.

I miss you all and wish I could be there or you could be here to share this day. But we are safe in Laos, as are the turkeys who live up the lane, whom Disty caught in the picture above. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment