Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day 2014

It's been a while since I last posted. Today is Father's Day, and Disty and I are heading off to Laos tonight to dedicate Hosamut Ahn Dee, the library in Andy's memory that has been built in Oudomxay, Laos.


Disty surprised me this morning with a card that she found on her desk as she was cleaning up. It was a beautiful discovery, but she was concerned that it would upset me. Nevertheless, she ended up deciding to share this sweet memento. I reminded Disty that I am all about memory, connection, and artifact. Applewood Books was built on that, and I thought it was the perfect way to start off our journey. Memories of Andy; of Microwave, our beloved departed basset hound, and the small but charming and fluid script of Chip, reminding me that love is never gone for those that love and those that have been loved.

***

On the thank you cards we sent after Andy died, we had his picture and two quotes. On the front, was a quote from Jalal ad-Din Rumi: "This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred fails to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet." There are many ways to read this, but if I were an Air France steward welcoming a Zuckerman on board, I might use this as a metaphor for commercial flight to Southeast Asia: the hundred veils being the window shades, letting go of life being suspending your self as you sit stationary for 17 hours, and stepping without feet being the travel through air. Of course, Rumi did not intend that, but I take this journey to be love. A father for a son, and sons for a father.

On the back of the card, was a quote from Emily Dickinson:
Unable are the Loved to die
For Love is Immortality,
Nay, it is Deity--

Unable they that love--to die
For Love reforms Vitality
Into Divinity.



4 comments:

  1. I love the card. Also that stage in kids' lives when they add their last initial in cards to their parents. What year do you think that was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie. I think it was maybe 1998. I am so grateful to Disty for holding onto this. Love, Phil Z.

      Delete
  2. Phil and Disty,
    The work that you have done in service to Andy's memory speaks to the creative force which lies behind love, and the many forms that love can take when the object of loving moves out of reach (in one way or another). I wish you safe travels and look forward to the day that I can visit Hosamut Ahn Dee Library and remember Andy closer to the spirit of love that his family has harnessed to create such a wonderful place.
    Be well.
    -Aimee D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AImee. It is not so much work as the vacuum of loss that drives this. Along the way, we find more love from loving people that fuels the journey. It is, in the butterfly image, our milkweed (reference to today's post). Thanks for every day that you have reached out. It is always notable and forever appreciated.

      Delete