Sunday, June 17, 2012

Journey of Unhealing

We left our home in Bedford, Massachusetts this morning at 8 am. It is Father's Day. I made a long stop in the library room in our house where we have Andy's ashes, books, pictures, and miscellaneous things we can never get rid of—including the cardboard boxes that came from Laos with his effects. They are folded and stored behind the couch. It was hard to leave Andy and our 2-year-old golden doodle dog, Dao Noi ("Little Star" in Lao), whom I think embodies the souls of Andy and my brother, Larry.

It is strangely nice to peel off the healing that has grown around me over the last three years and feel the rawness that motivates our trip. People have asked: "Are you going for business of pleasure?" I am not sure. It is about the business of memory and building a connection. And there is pleasure in running naked through the streets of my soul. But maybe there's another category for our journey.

We drove to New York City, where we are having lunch with my sister and her two daughters, my nieces. Then we head off to the airport for our 7:00 pm flight to Tokyo and then on to Bangkok, where we arrive at 5:30 am on Tuesday.

After spending two days in Bangkok, on Thursday, June 21, we will fly to Luang Prabang, Laos. There we will meet up with Chip.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you, Phil. Safe travels.....Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip. We'll be thinking about you during your journey... and following you reflections on the trip here.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete